Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Make: Gift Tags

After a quick round of hand print turkeys and a handmade anniversary card, I had some substantial scraps of paper left bearing my son's recent interest in markers and crayons. I couldn't quite bring myself to throw away the scraps - although I'm not above cutting up his drawings for personal gain, especially when he used heavy cover stock paper.


With only a few minutes of sacred nap time left, I decided to use the scraps to make gift tags - a great supply to have on hand for the upcoming holidays. While its not a new idea by any stretch, it is a good reminder that sometimes simple really is best.

One: I cut the paper scraps into 2" wide by 3.5" tall pieces. (I had enough to make 25 pieces.)

Two: I trimmed off the top two corners of each piece, creating a tag shape. Once I had one cut, I used it as my pattern for cutting the rest.

Three: I cut scraps of patterned paper into .75" x 1.5" rectangles. (I used scrapbooking paper but gift wrap - even junk mail - would work too.) I folded each rectangle in half, slid the strip on top of the trimmed end of the tag, and then glued half to the front of the tag and half to the back. Finally, I used a standard hole punch to punch through the top of the tag.

I think the addition of patterned paper adds a bit of sophistication and polish, making the scribbled art seem intentional rather than "Oops, look who found some markers!"... but maybe that's just the proud mama in me talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment